Friday 23 July 2010

Failure - A Friendly Kick Up The Backside

I'm a lazy sod given half a chance, so I thought I'd let an old friend do a bit of work.

Christian Digby-Firth was one of my creative directors years ago at O & M and has a very neat turn of phrase.

Good writing is always a good thing to note if you want good people, since as Dr. Johnson observed, "Language is the dress of thought."

Here's something Christian sent me just now.

"What is it about airport ads? They're breeding grounds for some of the most fatuous copy lines in the biz. "We know what it takes to be a Tiger", "In business people are good together", "Hello", etc. etc and all the others too crushingly dull to recall. Which is of course your point.

International committee work, I suppose.

"Make the most of now" is Vodafone's anxious strategic imperative writ large: i.e. "Please use your mobile phone to do all sorts of things that are pointless to you but profitable to us, and do them now because we don't make anything on your boring old voice calls".

Now, I have to confess that though I agree with almost everything in that hilarious little note, I don't agree with that.

I think the Tiger campaign is very cleverly aimed at executives with very small p**cks and even smaller minds who want to feel like they're big bold business marauders - and who are gullible enough to believe Accenture will help them do it without having to think, in exchange for absurdly large sums of money.

But there is an important point I want to make (besides one I made in an earlier piece, which is that emotion beats logic, even in business).

It's: Playing on people's inadequacies is a very smart thing to do.

Take a look at any successful self-help ad, and you'll see what they do.

I mentioned Max Sackheim a week or so ago - the man who wrote "My First 50 years in Advertising".

He wrote an ad entitled, "Do you make these mistakes in English?" aimed to sell English courses to immigrants who felt unsure about their English. It ran successfully for 40 years.

Here it is:



Lillian Eichler wrote an ad with the heading, "Again she orders - A Chicken Salad, Please." - to sell a book of etiquette to people who felt socially inadequate.

It took three writers to produce an ad headed, "Here's an extra $50, Grace - I'm making real money now" - aimed to sell correspondence courses. This is one of my favourite headlines ever..

Now, I hope you're not going to give me that bleeding heart stuff about playing on people's fears. If you do I will tell you one thing I know for sure, in fact I bet on it once..

Recently I was speaking at Manchester University, and the celebrity speaker was a famous chef. I was discussing what motivates successful people with a lady at my table..

I said, "It's fear of failure - and I bet this man is no exception."

The man's speech began almost word for word with what I'd said. He revealed how he feared not living up to his father's expectations..

People who achieve do so almost always because they fear to fail..

And people who fail usually do so because they're cocksure -not worried about failing, and so don't try hard enough.

Best,
Drayton
www.directmarketingcourse.com
www.commonsensedirectmarketing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment