Saturday 5 February 2011

About Making Money

I recently went through a very bad spell with my health. I honestly thought I was going to die.

This went on for about two or three weeks and, when I finally got over it, I sat down and thought about the reasons.

I was going to write a long rambling post about why I thought I got to that stage, but then I saw this article. It was written by Bruce Barton in the 1920s.

What stuck me are the lines I've highlighted, and realised this is what's been happening to me... or rather... not happening. I was ruining my health in the pursuit of my business.

Take a look and see if it rings any bells. Let me know what you think, and how it affects you, in the comments.

About Making Money


It is easy to be hypocritical on the subject of money.

We have formed a habit of pretending publicly to despise money, while actually working our heads off to get more of it.

We make speeches to young men advising them to "seek the higher good," and hurry straightway to our offices to make up for lost time.

Let us have done with such hypocrisy.

We are all out to make money; nor is there anything reprehensible in that fact.

Wise old Sam Johnson said: "There are few occupations in which men can be more harmlessly employed than in making money."

It is not "money" that is the "root of all evil," as we often misquote, but "the love of money."

How much of yourself are you willing to sell for money?

The answer to that question is none of my business. It is a personal question - a question for you to ask yourself.

But if you are the sort of person I think you are, your answer to it will be something like this : There are some things I am not willing to sell for money.

I will not sell my health.

Not for all the money in the world will I die twenty years before my time, as Harriman did; nor spend my old age drinking hot water,
like John D. Rockefeller.

I will not sell my home.

I will forget my business when I leave my office.

My home shall be a place of rest and high thinking and peace not a mere annex to my factory or office, where the talk is of nothing but gains and loss.

I will not sell my honor.

I will not engage in any business, no matter what the profit, that does not contribute something to the happiness and progress of the
world.

King Midas, in a fit of covetousness, prayed that everything he touched might turn to gold.

And his prayer was granted.

The food he was lifting to his mouth turned to gold. His wife, if he had touched her, would have turned to gold.

There are too many King Midases loose in the world.

They do not have the Midas touch: they have the Midas look: They see nothing but money.

A beautiful garden to them is merely something that "must have cost a thousand dollars."

They look on their homes and they see, not a home, but an expense of so much a month.

They look on their wives, and figure how much less it cost them to live when they lived alone.

The universe, to them, is a balancesheet: their minds are adding-machines: their hearts beat in tune with the ticker.

God pity them the men with the Midas look!

Get money but stop once in a while to figure what it is costing you to get it.

No man gets it without giving something in return.

The wise man gives his labor and ability.

The fool gives his life.




Best,
Rezbi
www.directmarketingcourse.com
www.hotbuttoncopywriting.com
www.commonsensedirectmarketing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment