Wednesday 11 May 2011

Are You Young Enough To Read This?

Are You Young Enough To Read This?

Last week I made a comment on one of John Carlton’s blog posts. Here’s what I said:

A couple of days ago I was invited to look over the new campaign a local firm is working on.

I took a look at one of their brochures, the covering letter and an email article they’re getting ready to send out on May 1st.

One look told me all I needed to know. I then told them what you said in #3.(You can check that out on his blog).

I asked them if any has a kid, nephew, niece, whatever, who is no more than 10 years old.

Then I said, picture that child reading what you’ve just shown me.

Will that 10 year old understand?

One of them said, “What about our more intellectual readers?”

I replied that he wasn’t giving his readers English lessons: He’s trying to make a sale. If the 10 year old can understand his writing, then he can be sure pretty much everyone will get the message.

The problem is, not everyone can put themselve in another’s shoes. Like imagining how a ten year old would react to your writing. Maybe you’re one of them.

Fear not, you.

Today I got an email from Perry Marshall. In it he says more or less the same thing.

He also includes a link to a tool he made. All you do is copy and paste your article into the box and click the button.

Hey presto! You get a complete analysis of how easy your writing is to read.

What more do you need?

And even better, it’s free.

So why don’t you go on over there and check it out. Have a blast checking out your old articles.

One last thing: I hope you found this article easy to read. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level for it is 3.4. Not bad at all.

It falls down a little on the you/me ratio. But that’s because of the comment on John Carlton’s blog.

Best,
Rezbi
The Copy System
www.directmarketingcourse.com
www.hotbuttoncopywriting.com
www.commonsensedirectmarketing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment