Thursday 5 May 2011

How To Handle Rush Copywriting Job Requests

How To Handle Rush Copywriting Job Requests

How do you handle requests from potential clients to write sales copy asap?

Here’s how I handled one a few months ago.

A client approached me and asked me to write some copy in two weeks.

Now, for some people that might be enough time. The problem is, I’m slow.

I take my time. My research can take a long time. And that includes reading. A lot of reading.

I’ll read their material. I’ll scour the internet. Anything I can find to make the final copy the best I can.

If at the beginning I had no idea about the subject, by the end of the job I’d be close to an expert. If not an expert.

So I told him it would take a minimum of six weeks.

However, I also said that by the end of those six weeks he would have world class copy. Which would he prefer – world class, or mediocre?

All of a sudden he was happy to have it later. Two weeks was no longer a priority.

You see, he was an intelligent guy. He knew he could get his job done in two weeks by someone else, but it may not convert very well.

With a little patience, he could have much better copy and make more money with it.

It was common sense.

I made sure to keep him updated. I kept in contact with him via email and skype.

I sent him the first draught and we went over it together. And we did the same with subsequent revisions.

At every step of the way I kept him in the loop. And he felt he was getting an education in copywriting.

When it was all done, he was happy and I didn’t have to run around like a blue-arsed fly trying to get it finished.

To see how another freelance copywriter handles these types of situations, check out this post: How to handle those pesky ASAP copywriting requests

How do you handle rush job requests. let me know in the comments.

Best,
Rezbi
The Copy System
www.directmarketingcourse.com
www.hotbuttoncopywriting.com
www.commonsensedirectmarketing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment