Thursday 5 May 2011

What Jay Abraham Said About Scientific Advertising

What Jay Abraham Said About Scientific Advertising

Here’s a story that neatly complements a post I made two days ago: The Only Reason For Advertising

It was in an email Scott Haines sent. It’s so good, and apt, that I emailed Scott and asked permission to reproduce it on my blog.

Scott, in case you don’t know him, is one of the top copywriters in the world.

He is the author of Shortcut Copywriting Secrets(tm), which was a was a very popular course.

But it’s no longer available. Not the first edition, anway. More on that later

On top of that, he’s a Gary Halbert protege. Nuff said.

Here’s the story:

Back in 1999, I went to meet Jay Abraham at his office in Rolling Hills Estates, California. I went there to talk about some copywriting work. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and trying to break into the freelance scene out there.

Anyway, I went to his office and talked with him for a couple of hours. Actually, I sat there while he grilled me about my life, my plans, working with Halbert, et cetera. I really didn’t say too much. To be honest, I was kind of “star-struck”.

However, out of that two hour “conversation” one thing he asked/said to me really stood out. He asked me how many times I had read Claude Hopkins’ Scientific Advertising.

Proud of myself, I said “Seven times”… thinking he’d be impressed. After all, David Ogilvy said, “Nobody should be be allowed to have anything to do with advertising until he has read this book (Scientific Advertising) seven times. It changed the course of my life.”

I had and I was proud of myself. But you know what Jay immediately shot back with? He instantly said, “Not enough. I’ve read it over 50 times.”

That really shocked me. I mean if a guy as smart and talented as Jay read something that many times, I better start studying harder.

Well, I haven’t read it over 50 times yet, but, I try an re-read it (along with My Life in Advertising) AT LEAST once every year. That way, I stay grounded in the true principles of direct marketing.

That, and what’s neat about those books is they increase in value over time. That is, the more you bring to the table, the more they unfold their wisdom to you. I can’t say that about many other books.

Best,
Rezbi
The Copy System
www.directmarketingcourse.com
www.hotbuttoncopywriting.com
www.commonsensedirectmarketing.com

P.S. From what I understand the 2nd Edition of Shortcut Copywriting Secrets(tm) should be available as soon Scott’s finished it.

If you want to know when it is available, go to http://www.shortcutcopywritingsecrets.com/, stick your details
in and Scott will let you know when it’s done.

No comments:

Post a Comment