Tuesday 12 July 2011

Social Commenting WordPress Plugins

Social Commenting WordPress Plugins

If you read my post last Thursday about the plugins I use on this site you may not be surprised to learn I like my plugins.

And with good reason.

Plugins are the reason why WordPress is the blogging platform of choice for most people.

They make life online so much easier.

Got people trying to spam your blog with links to dodgy sites? No problem: Install Akismet.

Want to make it easy for people to promote your blog to social sites, thus getting more traffic? Install AddToAny: Share/Bookmark/Email Buttons.

Want to cover yourself legally? Install WP Disclaimer.

Etc., etc., etc.

You get the picture.

There are different variations of plugins for each function.

And one such function is readers’ comments.

I use the Disqus Comment System on this site.

However, I just read a post by Neil Matthews on Problogger about a few alternative comment plugins.

What piqued my interest about the post is that it refers to somethings I’d seen on other sites, but didn’t know how they were done.

For example: Intensedebate gives you, the reader, the ability to login using your Facebook or Twitter account.

And when you comment using one of those accounts, the comment also automatically goes on that social site.

How cool is that?

I’ve just installed this plugin on this site but haven’t yet activated it. I’m going to test it on a different site first, just in case it messes things up.

I’ve also installed another plugin called Twitter Mentions as Comments.

Naff name aside, this is also a pretty cool plugin.

It goes through Twitter and checks to see if anyone’s mentioned your post. If they have, it pulls those comments and sticks them on your site.

Hey presto!

You now have more comments on your blog.

Of course, someone has to make those comments on twitter first.

And there’s a few more plugins Neil discusses on that post. So you might want to saunter over there and check it out.

Best,
Rezbi

Let Me Write Your Blog Posts For You?

No comments:

Post a Comment